Thursday, February 24, 2022

What Fate Awaits?

 


During lunch with my friend Jim he expressed concern about his upcoming move into assisted living: “Do you know where I can send my volumes of the Encyclopedia Brittanica? I can’t bear to throw them away.  I trust them more than anything from google.”  I sympathized.  I’ve been looking fondly at my own bookshelves lately and wondering about the fate of my favorites.


“Since we’re in another era of book burning now Jim, maybe the best fate of the

Encyclopedia would be to offer it up in an exchange for saving Toni Morrison books, or Maus, or whatever else is being threatened to go into the pyre,” I replied jokingly.


But it’s no joke, is it?

2 comments:

  1. "Where they burn books, in the end they will burn people."

    Heinrich Heine's 200 year old words.

    ReplyDelete