Wednesday, January 19, 2022

A Lifetime in Fur

 



There's nothing that says "oldster" like a closet full of furs.  I think of them smiling as they say: "You think climate change has made us irrelevant, but we've still got a few more good years left."  Each one of my coats brings along a trip down memory lane.

My mother's designer mink jacket was an emblem of her hard earned success as a business woman.  The fluffy raccoon was sold to me for pennies when my great friend Beverly decided to go cloth. I'm so glad I have it, especially now that she's gone.  The one I reached for this morning was my sheared beaver.  I was proud when I bought it for myself as I was emerging as Joan Chandler.

I gave my black mink to my friend Margaret.  She loved it.  I wonder if she still wears it.  I was wearing my grey fox when Wilt Chamberlain smiled at me and said: "Nice jacket."

See what I mean?  Furs are a great source of warmth ... on our back and in our mind.



4 comments:

  1. I love this story and you have always looked fabulous in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! And I bet Wilt was looking at more than your jacket. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere I must have that senior class picture of us all in our fur coats at KSC. I probably had the bad luck to stand next to Connie Teetor who had a gorgeous mink while the best I could muster was a mink-dyed muskrat. My memories of dressing in furs are not as snazzy as yours. I still shudder at the mink tails draped around my neck with those pitiful faces with glassy eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when Frank Nussbaum wore your mother’s full length mink coat…he was such a ham…

    ReplyDelete