Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Seeing or Imagining

 

I was listening to a discussion on the value of adding illustrations to works of literature.  I decided to ask some of my favorite writers and readers what they thought.


How do you feel about having illustrations in novels?  I know that graphic novels are very popular.  I’m talking about novels that depend on the written word. Would adding a few illustrations enhance your experience?


I’m inclined to think that I want to imagine the characters and scenes in my own mind relying on the author’s descriptions to spark my imagination.  Is this just old thinking?




Carole is decisive.

One of the most satisfying aspects of reading is the ability of an author to create an atmosphere and characters that allow the reader to imagine a world outside her/his own.  Of course you can imagine that I do not like movies made from books. Why would I want to see someone else’s vision of that which I saw and felt, especially when the decisions for productions are made based on capitalistic greed for profit?   Just give me the written word, please! 


Natalie added the picture to her note.

I think for younger audiences having pictures dispersed through longer chapter books would be helpful so that they can have visual aids. But for teens/adults I tend to agree with you that having illustrations would probably be at conflict with readers’ own imagination of the visuals- especially what the characters look like! I hate when there’s a movie remake of a book I like and the characters all look so different from how I pictured them hahaha!


Rex is a novelist.

I loved illustrated novels as a kid -- Treasure Island, the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Alice in Wonderland. I associate my first libidinal stirrings w/ looking at illustrations of Alice being set upon.

 

Today I still think of illustrations as being right for young readers. In novels for adults, maybe not. Adult readers might find illustrations interrupt the pleasure of immersion in language

 

In some stories tho, a map helps, doncha think?  : -) / Rex


What do you think? I'm really interested in your opinion.



 


6 comments:

  1. Illustrations are charming in kids books, not in adult novels. For me they would interrupt the word flow. I could ignore them (like I do most videos and ads online), but I'd rather not have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books to movies are an entirely different subject that I will not comment on here. For me, illustrations in a novel can enhance my experience. This may be because I am not a particularly visual thinker. It depends on the quality of the art and can often be improved with cooperation between the artist and the author. I apologize that I can not think of any examples right now, but I know I have experienced this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say I am really, really opposed to any illustrations in novels. But one of the commenters mentioned illustrations in "Alice..." and it made me think of my gorgeously illustrated edition of "Alice..." which I treasured on my 7th birthday and do to this day. However, in adult novels, NO. I want to have my own visions of characters and spaces. I hate graphic novels which just shows my age. I know that younger people who grew up with TV on ubiquitously and Instagram, tik tok, etc. feel very differently so I'm sure there will be more and more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't know. I do like them in children's books, and I may like illustrations of scenery. Maybe I'm less sure about people. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love illustrations anywhere. I love visuals. It helps me see what the author
    Is writing. Shows the period, shows what I miss. These things help clarify the externals so I may analyze or understand things better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of my friends who love to read and have thoughtful opinions to contribute. What an interesting exchange of ideas!

    ReplyDelete