Tuesday, November 12, 2019

For Jim



On the occasion of his 90th birthday, my best friend Jim's sister asked me to write a few words for the scrapbook she was making.  Since friendships like ours are so precious, I'd like to share with you what I wrote.

I’m having lunch today with my best friend Jim.  We’ll probably go to a tavern where Jim will fuss about which beer to order.  He likes draft, of course.  A man of firm opinions, big and small, he doesn’t tease me anymore when I order a diet coke.

Jim is my partner at the bridge table and my partner in politics.  We have a lot to talk about.  Behind the conversation is my deep appreciation for this wonderful man.  He knows my family secrets because he prepared my will as a favor.  He’s seen me without makeup when he came to my rehab room on a lonely Saturday night.

The most important feeling in life is to feel included, right?  That’s what Jim and Phyllis have given to me.  Sharing a bit of this crazy life with Jim, how lucky is that?

I say “Thank God for Jim”, knowing that will prompt a very big laugh from this firm atheist.




2 comments: