Monday, January 28, 2019

Brrrrrrr...


It was in the late 1960's.  I was taking classes at Northwestern's downtown campus.  Getting a teaching certificate that I never used but wanted in my pocket as I looked for work.  For anyone who has taken than trek from Michigan Avenue to Weiboldt Hall, you will understand this story.

The weather man said below zero and the wind chill man said more than minus 20 degrees.  But it was exam night and I had to be there, right?  So I bundled myself up with sweaters, coat, scarf, hat.  The only part of my body uncovered were my eyes.

My eyes froze.

When I finally got inside and up to the classroom there was a sign on the door.  EXAM CANCELLED.

And then I had to walk all the way back.

Do you have a weather story to tell?

5 comments:

  1. I remember walking in snow that was 4’5 high in my habit. Late 1960s

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Cuba, sometimes it was was so hot that I went to bed completely wet, from head to toe. A couple of hours later my body was dry again and burning. We had no air conditioner or fans. It was hell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes!!! same thing happened to Bruce at the U of Chicago in the 1967 snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Bruce I was supposed to get divorced on the day of the 1967 snow and I made it downtown. I was the only one there in Daley Plaza. It looked like those pix of Nuclear Winter.

      Delete
  4. Carrying groceries home from the Jewel in a sled down a deserted Harlem Avenue was quite an eerie experience. I also remember barely making it home from school in snow that was up to my thigh. That was a little scary.

    ReplyDelete